Thursday, January 9, 2014

what we can and can't accept

Suspension of disbelief is defined as the ability "to suspend judgment concerning the implausibility of the narrative." This could be for books, movies, TV, poems - anything with a creative current. You have to step out of reality to enjoy, and sometimes to understand, what the writer/director/actor is trying to accomplish. Each genre requires varying levels of acceptance because you're transported to different worlds.  For example, when watching anything made by Marvel, I immediately accept superhuman strength, the ability to fly, and the existence of other realms. But when watching She's the Man, I have a hard time getting over the fact that Amanda Bynes' character plays soccer with her hair down. That's completely ridiculous, have you ever tried to play a sport with your hair just flying around? It's mayhem. Yes, Thor has a hammer only he can lift - that's fine, but put your hair up, Amanda. You're embarrassing yourself. It really amuses me that this distinction exists, but it totally does right? Like vampires and werewolves - all good, but can we please talk about how I can see the "home" screen of your iPhone while you're supposedly talking to someone? Because you're not. I can tell because I have the same phone, idiots. 

Why are some extremes easier to swallow than others? Does the make believe world influence how much we're willing to overlook or are some issues more particular? Does everyone have the same acceptance-meter? Does your inability to tolerate the absurd deter you from enjoying the piece? Where is the line?

For me, it's the everyday things. Like, how come nobody says goodbye before hanging up the phone? You know why? Because writers are taught not to waste space on the page with "goodbye." Seriously. I was taught that no one would take me seriously if that was a line of dialogue. I guess I can understand that, you need to get action in there, but it's super weird that all these characters have important conversations on the phone and make plans to rob a bank or get married or kill someone and then, you know, just casually hang up. And no one ever goes to the bathroom. Scenes of/about this would be a waste of time, I know, but it still irks me.

New rules for whatever universe I'm watching I can wholly accept. You're telling me there's a secret world of witches and wizards where children go off to a school in the mountains and learn magic? Got it. I'm there. Buuuut do you really think it's believable the characters in The CW and ABC Family shows are so invincible? I mean they survive comas like it's their job - it's getting a bit out of hand. Cars flipping over and everyone getting shot by stray bullets, yet they're all alive to tell the tale... and to cheat on their significant others. Typical. Happens to me all the time.

I also enjoy the vast difference between what everyone can personally watch/read and then say, "Okay, understood." Bridesmaids is one of my favorite movies, but I could never get over the puppy as party favor thing. It didn't hurt my adoration of the movie, but puppies? As favors? What if I don't want a puppy? Do I have to take one anyway because it's a party favor? If so, that's not cool. You just gave me a super intense present. You just gave me a life I have to care for. That wasn't very nice. And if I can opt out of taking a puppy, what happens to the extras? Did you plan this out at all?! My mom on the other hand had no problem with that, but the British police officer really through her for a loop. She also had a problem with the scene in the second Star Trek where they end up on Earth and fight on a spaceship because wouldn't they fall off? Well, yes, probably, but this is a movie about humans and Vulcans fighting a war in outer space. So. There's that.

I think it comes down to what your favorite part of being a viewer/reader is. I love the faith and creativity that comes with ignoring our actuality and believing in someone else's imagination. There's a freedom in just accepting a completely new reality. Whereas other people love critiquing. They get a power trip out of ripping something apart. I understand the appeal, I've done it myself, but just letting go and embracing the unbelievable is oddly comforting.

This has all been a wildly roundabout way of saying there's some indecipherable line for each of us that determines what is and isn't possible to wrap our heads around. And I apparently have no brilliant conclusions regarding that observation aside from the observation itself. Where's the line for you? And why there?

No comments:

Post a Comment