Monday, July 29, 2013

tv couples you fully support in theory but in real life you'd be afraid for them

Romance is a major draw when it comes to TV.  For some shows, it's my primary reason for tuning in each week.  Will they EVER give into their obvious and, now, frustrating feelings for each other?  Because goddammit, this is getting obnoxious.  Other couples are happily together and you're thrilled because they are perfect for each other... except he's a bit obsessive and she's a little clingy and their friends don't approve and there is quite a big age difference, but aside from all that - PERFECT.

Does this happen to anyone else?  You think a couple is great together until you imagine the characters as real people and realize you'd be very against this union in real life.  Happens to me all the time.  Never would I so adamantly support the bad boys, nor would I think the crazy girl can be tamed.  I would be against 10 year age differences and disapprove of married women hooking up with their exes.  But on TV, I can't imagine these couples ever being apart.

I have compiled a list, with some help, of couples that I vehemently root for as an audience member but would slap both of these people upside the head if I knew them in real life (in no particular order) - spoiler alert if you haven't watched these shows... things get said:


1. Logan and Veronica (Veronica Mars)
 
Have I ever loved a couple more?  Probably.  But these two are hard to beat.  He's her ex-boyfriend's best friend and her best friend's ex... can you say match made in heaven?  Basically, these two said fuck the Kane's, let's get it on.  And boy did they.  Veronica, the super sleuth, can't help herself despite all she knows about poor-little-rich-boy Logan.  I don't think she's stupid enough to think she can change him herself, but that doesn't stop her from expecting it all the same.  While I'm a serious supporter of LoVe (are you kidding me... that alone is proof enough they're meant to be together), they are bad news.  Veronica can't trust. Anyone. Ever.  It's her best and worst quality and what makes the show work, but she's dating someone inherently untrustworthy.  Logan means well, and she's the only person he's ever loved, but fuck... he's so broken, no one can put him back together.  Especially the girl hell bent on tearing every good thing in her life apart.  Though as an audience member, I believe these two are meant to be.  Sure, Duncan and Piz are the good guys who will always support her and never do her wrong, but snoooooooze.  Who wants to watch that?  We want passion and regret, guys!  Veronica, you just keep forgiving Logan okay?  He didn't MEAN to cheat on you... she instigated it, I swear.  And Logan, Veronica bugged your car/phone/house accidentally.  She didn't MEAN to violate your trust... it just happened.  Bottom line: As a viewer with no actual stake in this relationship - be together.  You clearly can't stay away and that's a sign that while other people might be better for you, your feelings for each other will never go away.  If I knew these people in real life... Shit, you two stupid?
 
 
2. Damon and Elena (The Vampire Diaries)

I might love this couple more than any other couple on TV.  It's important to note that Delena is a solid facet of my friendship with a girl I've known since I was 6, so that might have something to do with it.  Theirs is a classic story: girl meets boy, they fall in love, then girl meets boy's brother, and realizes he's a million times better, aside from his murderous tendencies.  Elena is the damsel in distress, though she's a bit tougher now, and Damon is the bad guy, but only because he has to be.  Another thing that's important to know, I love Damon.  I will never think he does anything wrong even if it is killing Elena's brother, which he already kind of did.  If anything I think she's not good enough for him.  THAT IS ABSURD.  He's 100+ years old and into an 18-year-old girl, ew (look at him and you'll get over it).  She's a baby in comparison and really shouldn't be into a blood-sucking dude who doesn't see anything wrong with killing an innocent person (though he doesn't do this anymore).  On screen, the sexual tension is undeniable and it's obvious they can't stay away from each other, vampires or not, so they need to give into it... sorry, Stefan... and just enjoy the wonderfulness that is Delena.  In real life: what the hell, guys?  Damon is a little too much, sweetie, he has no trouble voluntarily dying for you or making himself eternally miserable just to see a smile on your face.  This seems sweet on TV, but if we were friends, I might suggest you stay away from him... forever.

 
3. Alicia and Will (The Good Wife)


Alicia, you're MARRIED.  While I'll admit, I don't understand why... you're still married.  And Will, she's MARRIED.  That aside, one of you loves the other more than the other ever will.  Sorry, buddy, she's never going to be ready to commit to you.  She can't even commit to a divorce.  Watching the show, I was waiting for this.  I didn't need a happily ever after, but just finally seeing Alicia give it a real try would be enough.  No.  They sleep together for a bit, but nothing serious because she's got kids and a husband and a job, blah blah blah.  I want them happen because I think it'll make them truly happy, but if I knew Will in real life, I'd have to smack him.  It's not going to happen!  It's never going to happen!  Date someone new and who cares if she's jealous?  No one. (Please note: I haven't watched the last season, in which case this might all be bullshit.)

 
 
4. Maggie and Jim (The Newsroom)
 
Am I actually rooting for these two?  Hard to say.  I was, just like everyone else, ready for them (mostly Maggie) to get over themselves and get together, but then he was stupid and she was worse.  Maggie, you LIKE him, moron.  WHY did you tell your best friend to go out with him... oh... right... because you had a boyfriend who's a douche and doesn't even like you.  Regardless, Jim is the adorable, harmless best friend you really want to jump and Maggie is the adorkable spaz that guys seem to find endearing.  And look how cute they'd be?  They're the obvious couple on this show.  Honestly, it might've been more interesting to watch them date, realize they're too boring together, and get over it.  Instead, we're into the second season and the tension remains (though they've lost the significant others, because even they realize Jim and Maggie should be together.)  While these guys have the potential to be enjoyable, more likely, they'd be as tiresome as they already are.  If I was friends with these two, I'd be fed up by now.  Missed multiple chances, guys, seven strikes and move the fuck on.
 
5. Aria and Ezra (Pretty Little Liars)
I know a lot of people actively dislike this relationship, but I kind of don't. I do think their personalities match and that they genuinely care about each other.  I think he calms her while she livens him up.  They compliment each other nicely and are able to communicate well.  Chemistry has never been a problem, yet sex isn't the focus of their relationship.  Honestly, it's a relatively healthy situation, aside from, you know, the small fact that HE'S HER TEACHER.  What the hell, ABC Family?  Can't you give a same-age couple this strong of a connection.  Watching a 16-year-old date her English teacher is a stupid message to send.  Really stupid.  Give this relationship to Spencer and Toby, they could seriously work on their communication.  In real life, as either of their friends, I'd want to put a stop to this.  But on screen, my God, they're cute.


6. Hannah and Adam (Girls)

Hear me out because my feelings on them have changed more than once.  Originally, he's the ass, right?  He never calls and she just shows up at his place for sex.  How can he abuse their relationship like that?  Then you realize she never told him she wanted more than a physical relationship, so how was he supposed to know? And she's the one calling him so if anything, she's using him for his body, not the other way around.  So they date.  And it's adorable.  Until it's awful and they break up.  He gets overinvested, she's not ready for the L word and he can't take it back.  Skip some stalking, a few months, and Hannah's breakdown... and who is the only person there for her?  Adam.  He's the only one as pig-headed as she is, so he blatantly ignores her protests that she's fine, which is what she wants and needs anyway.  I guess if I was her friend, I'd tell her to hold on for dear life.  If I was his, I'd ask him repeatedly if he was sure then get ready for her next crazy spell.
 
 
 
I rest my case.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I want detailed case studies blown out on each of these couples! Chop chop! ;)

    Logan and Veronica, yep agree with everything. But I also love Piz more than life...this might be a situation where I think it should totally be plausible and acceptable for Veronica to date both of them. At the same time. Yep.

    Alicia and Will I could seriously write a whole book about.

    Hannah and Adam I disagree with you slightly on - I just want Adam to get the hell away from her! Save yourself man!

    ReplyDelete