Thursday, August 22, 2013

shows i watch like popcorn

Full disclosure, this idea wasn't mine.  Avery, my co-poster, mentioned it a while back but her job requires her full attention whereas mine goes in and out, so I'm stealing it for myself.

In case the title doesn't make sense to you, this is a post about those shows that come in a myriad of flavors: caramel, chocolate, classic, but never disappoint.  Think about it, even if you're eating unsatisfying popcorn, it's still popcorn and, ultimately, good enough.  You can eat it kernel by kernel or throw back a whole handful at a time.  Popcorn is amazing as you enjoy the sweet buttery flavor coated in just the right amount of salt, but every time, without fail, I have too much and end up with a weird lump in my stomach.  It's not nausea exactly, but it's not pleasant.  This is extremely similar to the feeling I get after spending precious hours on shows like Hart of Dixie or Cougar Town.  They seem harmless at the time, but afterwards I always shake my head and promise that was the last time.

Don't get me wrong, I like these kinds of shows.  And I'm watching them voluntarily.  But they're fluff.  I feel like I'm about to contradict my "guilty pleasure" post.  So let me make something clear: I'm not embarrassed about watching these shows, there's just so little brainpower required to watch them, that sometimes you feel the need to read Newsweek after.

Let's see some examples, right?  I know that's what you're thinking.  Okay okay... here's a few.
 
Baby Daddy
This show is cute.  There's not really another word to describe it.  A young guy (Ben) ends up having to take care of his daughter (Emma) when the mom runs off and his two lovable, goofy roommates (Tucker and Danny) agree to help.  He has a crazy mother (Mrs. Wheeler), shocker, and a gorgeous but often overlooked female friend (Riley) that he's known since childhood.  There's a love-triangle between Ben, Danny, and Riley, but only kind of.  It's as if the writers can't decide who the audience wants her to date so they keep teasing both relationships without making any kind of real moves.  All three of them confess their feelings to the others yet somehow, despite their kookiness and usual blatant disregard for other people... they never spill the beans.  I guess some things are still sacred.  Regardless, this show is a lot like the baby herself.  It's adorable, a little messy, and often incoherent.

Hart of Dixie
Only real reasons to watch this show: the accents and the soundtrack.  And even then, you need to like southern drawls and country twangs.  It also helps if you have an affinity for Rachel Bilson.  Again, there's a love-triangle that I think the writers are trying to figure out along with the rest of us.  I've heard the chemistry between Bilson and Wilson Bethel was too obvious to ignore, forcing the show to explore a relationship between their characters.  Knowing that actually makes it all make more sense.  The mayor is a former football champ who owns a crocodile and just wants to find true love, while the town gossip rivals that of Stars Hollow.  I think it's safe to say the creators had Gilmore Girls in mind as they created this feel-good absurdity, but without the pop culture references and the witty banter - it's pretty inferior.
 

 Pretty Little Liars

At least this is suspenseful popcorn.  For all it's plot holes, PLL still keeps me interested enough to tune each week.  And despite the ridiculousness of four girls "stealthily" walking down a well-lit street in four-inch heels, I want to see what they find while peeking through a huge leafless bush.  Maybe it's the female friendships or maybe it's the clothes, but every Tuesday I make sure to check in with the liars.  Maybe it's the mystery without the stakes.  Really horrible things happen to them, but it's so much horribleness all the time, that it begins to lose it's intensity.  How many times can their hearts really be broken?  They're 17, for God's sake.  And not that the infamous A isn't terrifying and evil, but they seem to create a lot of problems for themselves.  The bitch is usually blackmailing you, so if you just stopped being so stupid and started telling people the truth or acting more honestly - you'd be in the clear, girls.  It's really on you.  Sorry not sorry.


What shows keep you fully entertained while you simultaneously will yourself to turn them off?




2 comments:

  1. I accidentally got sucked into Ink Master last weekend ... does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I would argue most shows count = )

    ReplyDelete